1. Binns HJ, Ariza AJ. Guidelines help clinicians identify fisk factors for overweight in children. Pediatr Ann. 2004;33(1):19-22.
2. Kleinman RE. American Academy of Pediatrics. Pediatric Nutrition Handbook. Elk Grove Village, IL: American Academy of Pediatics; 2004:466.
3. Kleinman RE. American Academy of Pediatrics. Pediatric Nutrition Handbook. Elk Grove Village, IL: American Academy of Pediatrics; 2004:568-569.
4. Kleinman RE. Pediatric Nutrition Handbook. Elk Grove Village, IL: American Acedmy of Pediatrics; 2004:567.
5. Laaksonen DE, Lakka HM, Niskanen LK, Kaplan GA, Salonen JT, Lakka TA. Metabolic syndrome and the development of diabetes mellitus: application and validation of recently suggested definitions of the metabolic syndrome in a prospective cohort study. Am J Epidemiol. 2002;156(11):1070-1077.
6. Lakka HM, Laaksonen DE, Lakka TA, et al. The metabolic syndrome and total and cardiovascular disease mortality in middle-aged men. JAMA. 2002;288(21):2709-2716.
7. Reaven GM, Banting lecture 1988. Role of insulin resistance in human disease. Diabetes. 1988;37(12):1595-1607.
8. Alberti KG, Zimmet PZ. Definition, diagnosis, and classification of diabetes mellitus and its complications: Part 1. Diagnosis and classification of diabetes mellitus. Report of a WHO consultation. Diab Med. 1998;15:539-553.
9. Expert Panel on Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Cholesterol in Adults. Executive summary of the Third Report of The National Cholesterol Education Program (NCEP) Expert Panel on Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Cholesterol in Adults (Adult Treatment Panel Ill.) JAMA. 2001;285(19):2486-2497.
10. Cook S. The metabolic syndrome: antecedent of adult cardiovascular disease in pediatrics. J Pediatr. 2004:145(4):427-430.
11. Steinberger J. Diagnosis of the metabolic syndrome in children. Curr Opin Lipidol. 2003;14(6):555-559.
12. National High Blood Pressure Program Working Group on High Blood Pressure in Children and Adolescents. The fourth report on the diagnosis, evaluation, and treatment of high blood pressure in children and adolescents. Pediatrics. 2004;114(2 suppl 4th report):555-576.