You will not be able to use your current stock of Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine (purple cap vials) to administer vaccine to children 5-11 years of age.
You can only administer the new presentation of Pfizer vaccine (orange cap vials) for this population.
For more updates on preparing for to COVID-19 vaccine for children, click here.
For additional information on COVID-19, visit the TPS COVID-19 Resource Page.
Additional Updates on Pediatric Vaccines:
These initial orders are important for DSHS to determine provider needs and allocate doses. You must sign up to be a Texas COVID-19 Vaccine Provider to order COVID-19 vaccines, even if you are a TVFC provider. You can do so here, or check out this registration webinar for more information. Register ASAP!
Other important details:
- Storage: Vaccines can be stored in a standard pharmaceutical grade refrigerator with a thermal logger for 10 weeks, or in an ultralow temp freezer until the expiration date on the vial. Learn more about vaccine storage and handling here.
- The Vaccine: It is a separate pediatric formulation with an orange cap specific for a 10 mcg dose. Adult and pediatric vaccines are not interchangeable. Pediatric ancillary kits will automatically be added to a vaccine order and ship at the same time as the vaccine. Learn more about the vaccine here.
- Reporting: Doses must be reported in ImmTrac2 within 24 hours of administration. Read more about COVID-19 Vaccine Reporting.
- Approval and Administration: The FDA Advisory Committee meets on Oct. 26 and ACIP will meet on Nov. 2-3. Providers may be able to administer in early November, pending approval. Other administration instructions and clinical recommendations will be released upon approval. For more information, visit the DSHS pages on Vaccine Administration & Fee Information, Vaccine Information & Presentation, and Managing Vaccine Orders, Administration, & Monitoring.
- Trainings: Pfizer Medical Affairs will hold trainings on Tuesdays at 5 pm ET and Thursdays at 12 pm ET for the rest of 2021. Find the webinar links and passwords here. DSHS hosts weekly provider webinars with Q & A (Oct. 19 Highlights).