Central Texas Pediatric Trauma Learning Collaborative


The Central Texas Pediatric Trauma Learning Collaborative (CTXLC) is hosted by the Texas Pediatric Society (TPS), the Texas Chapter of the American Academy of Pediatrics, and is made possible through funding from St. David’s Foundation. The goal of the CTXLC is to train pediatricians to idenitfy and address adverse childhood experiences (ACEs), social determinants of health (SDoH), and childhood trauma in their practices.

Clinical care contributes to only 20% of overall health outcomes for a population. The other 80% can be attributed to factors including social and economic conditions (40%), health behaviors (30%), and physical environment (10%). Addressing these external factors, known as SDoH, is key to improving the health of society’s most vulnerable children. Additionally, ACEs (abuse, neglect, household challenges such as family violence and substance use) are linked to some of society’s most intractable health issues, including alcoholism, drug abuse, depression, suicide, poor physical health, and obesity. As some of the most trusted professionals among families, pediatricians play an integral role in connecting families to key resources.


The CTXLC is current working with its second cohort of participants from practices across Central Texas. In 2020, participants convened for four virtual learning sessions and, in 2021, participants convened for a final full-day virtual session. This graphic outlines their self-reported progress.


The CTXLC has compiled a curated list of resources for addressing ACEs/SDoH, which can be browsed through a filterable guide here. To add a resource to the guide, please use this form. To update existing information in the guide, please email Angelica Ferrandino.

Additionally, the Harvard Center on the Developing Child has published a wealth of information about the science of early childhood brain development. Below is their video on how early experiences affect lifelong health and learning.

To search for other resources, we recommend the following tools:

  • 211 Texas: Dial 2-1-1, or (877) 541-7905, and find information about resources in your local community. Whether you need help finding food or housing, child care, crisis counseling or substance abuse treatment, one number is all you need to know.
  • findhelp.org (Aunt Bertha): Use this online database to find food assistance, help paying bills, and other free or reduced cost programs, including new programs for the COVID-19 pandemic.
  • Child Psychiatry Access Network (CPAN): This tool is for physicians and other medical providers who have cases involving behavioral health concerns. CPAN provides prompt access to a child psychiatrist for phone consultation on medication questions, including follow-ups, expert consultation on difficult cases, help to fully incorporate behavioral services into the practice through access to a child psychiatrist, and help to identify resources for evaluation and ongoing care.


In this video, Ana Avalos, MD, a participant in the second cohort of the CTXLC, describes the progress she has made thus far in addressing ACEs/SDoH in her practice.