Thursday, September 19, 2019
Neurodevelopmental Dysfunction in the School Age child & adolescent: When attention problems are NOT ADHD-related
1. Distinguish between normal neurodevelopmental variation in executive functioning and true ADHD in adolescent
2. Differentiate impact of secondary attention problems related to specific learning disorder and executive dysfunction associated with nonverbal learning disability
3. Identify cognitive symptoms of depression in adolescent that may mimic ADHD
Speakers: Maricela D. Gulbronson, MD, FAAP
Behavioral Interventions for ADHD: Meds Are Great, but What Else Should We (Could We?) Be Doing?
1. Identify the evidence-based treatments for ADHD and reasons for their use in preschoolers and school-aged children with ADHD diagnosis.
2. Establish expectations for families about Parent Management Training, and establish a Daily Report Card for school-aged children with ADHD.
3. Facilitate the deliver high-quality, evidence-based behavioral interventions for preschoolers and school-aged children with ADHD.
Anne-Marie Hain, MD
Tracy L. Harrington, PhD
Primary Care Approach to ADHD and Mental Health: Partnering with Neuropsychology
1. Identify factors and symptoms that might point to comorbid pediatric mental health conditions (e.g. anxiety, depression, traumatic stress)
2. Differentiate when a child is best served by primary care management of ADHD vs. referral for in-depth neuropsychological evaluation: looking at the whole child
3. Summarize the benefits of pediatric neuropsychological evaluations for diagnostic formulation and treatment planning: a partnered approach
Veronica Meneses, MS, MSHS
Michael S McLane, Psy D
Food Actually IS Medicine: Innovative and Practical Approaches to Nutrition Counseling
1. Review the rapidly emerging current evidence for food-related disease
2. Recognize the complex and multifactorial etiologies contributing to obesity, particularly in children exposed to stress and/or trauma
3. Demonstrate practical skills and strategies to discuss food and dietary change with patients and families through a role-play simulation
Heidi K Roman, MD
Jaclyn Lewis Albin, MD
Social Determinants of Health and LGBT Youth: Practical Strategies for the General Practitioner [Ethics]
1. Describe the unique health risks and challenges often encountered by LGBT and gender diverse youth
2. Identify community resources that provide support to LGBT and gender diverse youth
3. Identify strategies for identification of, and office-based care for, LGBT youth
M. Brett Cooper, MD
Health Literacy :Tips and Tricks for Busy Pediatricians to Enhance Communication with Patients and Families [Ethics] & [MOC Part II]
1. Demonstrate an awareness of the problem of health literacy in delivering quality pediatric care
2. Define and utlize terms including "plain language" , "readability level" , "health numeracy and "teach back"
3. Demonstrate the ability to use an online "readability checker" find "plain language handouts" , edit documents with word processing software to achieve desired literacy level and the "teach back" .
Laura E Ferguson, MD, MEd
Set It and Forget It: Navigating Ethical and Legal Controversies of Long-Acting Contraception in Special Adolescent Populations [Ethics]
1. Describe the historical, legal and ethical situations of providing confidential contraceptive services to adolescents with a particular emphasis on long-acting reversible contraception
2. Review the age of sexual consent in Texas and strategies to report abuse or neglect when appropriate
3. Determine adolescent medical decision-making authority and consent for contraception in the context of special adolescent populations
Jenny K Rodriguez Francis, MD, MPH
Heidi K Roman, MD
Psychotropic Medication Prescribing in Children and Adolescents: Beyond the Basics
1. Summarize the indications, interactions and side effects of psychotropic medications.
2. Describe the selection, monitoring and follow up of psychotropic medication.
3. Identify available prescribing guidelines and resources for psychotropic medication.
Kimberly E. Stone, MD, MPH, FAAP
Mohsin Khan, MD
Care-Based Clinical Care of Youth with Gender Dysphoria for Pediatricians [Ethics]
1. Conduct a discussion with youth and parents regarding gender identity
2. Explain the diagnosis of gender dysphoria and list the medications used in its management
3. Summarize the ethical issues related to treating youth with gender dysphoria
May Lau, MD, MPH
Ximena Lopez, MD
Heather K Newby, LCSW
Implementation of a Comprehensive Medical Home Model for Children with Special Needs [Ethics]
1. List the three pillars of an effective Health Home Model
2. Describe the “Team-based Model” of interaction between the service coordinator, the primary care physician, and the managed care organization
3. Begin the process of strategizing how to operationalize the health home concept in your practice for children with both complex medical conditions as well as extensive behavioral health issues.
Ernest Buck, MD
Fredrick A. McCurdy, MD, PhD, MBA
Carmen Rocco, MD
Jo Ann Garcia, RN, BSN