Sunday, October 18, 2020
The Anti-Vaccine Movement: Implications for Texas Children
- Discuss trends in nonmedical (religious and personal belief) vaccine exemption rates and potential for disease outbreaks
- Identify communities in Texas at increased risk of disease outbreaks due to low immunization rates
- Utilize resources and strategies to promote vaccine uptake in communities and practices
Nancy R Kelly, MD, MPH
Integration through Collaboration: Accessing Child Psychiatry to Manage Behavioral Health Needs of Children within Primary Care
- Identify barriers to providing behavioral health care in the primary care setting.
- Describe the model of child psychiatric access to primary care clinicians for integrating behavioral health care into primary care, with focus on building effective communication and collaboration.
- Describe the Texas Child Mental Health Care Consortium as established by Senate Bill 10 passed in 2019 with an update and focus on the Texas Child Psychiatry Access Network (CPAN)..
Nhung T. Tran, MD, FAAP
Laurel Williams, DO
Let's Talk About Antibiotics: Improving Communication with Parents about Antibiotic Usefulness
- Identify barriers to open communication with parents about the usefulness of antibiotics
- Review the literature and recommended techniques to improve communication with parents when antibiotics are not indicated or when watchful waiting is an option
- Role play patient-parent scenarios to practice recommended techniques to improve communication with parents regarding the usefulness of antibiotics
Lindsay Hatzenbuehler Cameron, MD, MPH
The 2019 Lancet Countdown on Health and Climate Change: Our Children’s Future is at Stake
- Summarize the current and projected environmental changes resulting from the climate crisis, and the importance of preventing further warming of the planet.
- List specific conditions that children may be prone to develop as they get exposed to the degrading environment, from fetal life to adulthood.
- Identify resources for educational material about climate change and pediatric health, and measures that can be implemented in a clinical practice to reduce emissions and educate families about
Susan E. Pacheco, MD