Saturday, October 17, 2020
Preventing the Next Pandemic: Vaccine Diplomacy in a Time of Antiscience Ethics
- Report on the development of new vaccines to prevent COVID19, how they work, their strengths and weaknesses, and their expected availability in 2021.
- Compare the US vaccine program known as Op Warp Speed with international efforts to develop new vaccines.
- Summarize the status of a rising anti-vaccine movement in the US, which is now globalizing4.
Peter J Hotez, MD, PhD
Smoke signals: The Texas Experience with E-Cigarettes and EVALI (E-Cigarette and Vaping Associated Lung Illness) Ethics
- Review how e-cigarettes function, drugs used in such devices and the need for policy/regulation related to e-cigarettes and vaping
- Describe pathology of EVALI and required care and spectrum of illness in 2019 and underlying pathology.
- Describe the investigation and epidemiology of US and Texas vaping cases of pulmonary illness with use of e-cigarettes
Wendy Chung, MD
Janet F.Williams, MD, FAAP
Devika Rao, MD
Separating Truth From Fiction in Abusive Head Trauma Ethics
- Identify the medical evaluation of suspected cases of abusive head trauma
- identify the conditions that are mimics of abusive head trauma, and how to test for them
Christopher Greeley, MD, MS
Angela Bachim, MD
Firearm Safety Counseling Education for the Pediatrician and Pediatric Trainee: a Multimodal Educational Workshop Ethics
- Explain the burden and prevalence of firearm injuries in children and identify the various legislation surrounding firearms in TX and federally
- Describe the role of the physician in gun violence prevention, including assessment of risk and protective factors and barriers to firearm safety counseling
- Develop skills and practical tools in counseling families on firearm safety and review firearm safety features/devices
Sandra McKay, MD, FAAP
Melissa Kwan, MD
Gowri Stevens, MD, FAAP