Friday, October 16, 2020
Recognizing Implicit Bias in Pediatrics - Heeding the Call to Reduce Health Disparities Ethics
- Define implicit bias and demonstrate examples in pediatrics
- Explore evidence linking implicit bias and health disparities
- Formulate strategies for mitigating bias at personal and institutional level
Jorge Ganem, MD, FAAP
Lauren K. Gambill, MD, MPA
Karen Carvhalho, MD
Breathe Easier: Top Takeaways from AAP/TPS Asthma QI project Ethics
- Describe strategies for continuing improvement after the end of PDSA cycles and data collection in a structured, sponsored QI project such as those sponsored by the AAP and/or TPS
- Explain the application of process improvement and team building strategies established in one QI project to a different project
- Define strategies for optimal QI practice management (such as billing/coding and clinical documentation review) and team dynamics that support all members in initiating and managing QI projects
Linda D. Parsi, MD, MBA, CPEDC, FAAP
Nadia A. Sabri, MD, FAAP
Caring for Children in Immigrant Families Ethics
- Summarize the journey of an immigrant child from their home country to Texas; differentiate varying legal statuses of immigrant children
- Analyze and share current practices from your clinical setting, and identify gaps in training and barriers to care.
- Formulate a care plan for an office-based visit of a newly-arrived immigrant pediatric patient
Megan Gray, MD, MPH, FAAP
Brandon Allport-Altillo, MD, MPH
Growing Pains: Transition Planning for Children and Youth with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities
- Demonstrate knowledge of domains of transition planning for children and youth with intellectual and developmental disabilities (IDD)
- Identify resources to help pediatricians guide patients and their families regarding transition to adult services
- Identify ethical issues and challenges involved in transition planning for youth with IDD
Dinah L. Godwin, MSW, LCSW
Jennifer L. Cervantes, LMSW
ABA, Autism and the Pediatrician
- Demonstrate understanding of Applied Behavior Analysis as a therapy for children with Autism
- Identify characteristics of an effective ABA program
- Interpret reports and progress in an ABA program
Joyce Elizabeth Mauk, MD
1:15- 2:00 pm
Telemedicine 201 for Pediatricians Ethics
- Recognize the current landscape of telemedicine for the medical home
- Outline the impact of COVID on current and future state of telemedicine
- Identify the gaps and barriers to adoption
- Explain the widening technology gap for the underserved
- Describe the future of virtual care
Mick Connors, MD, FAAP
It's Not Just a Checklist - Identification and Management of Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Perform medical developmental assessments to diagnose ASD, rather than relying exclusively on behavioral screening checklists.
- Perform medical workups as indicated by presenting histories and physical exam findings in an attempt to establish an etiologic diagnosis for children with autism spectrum disorder.
- Recommend evidence-based therapeutic, early intervention, and special education interventions and beware of nonstandard therapies for children with ASD.
Robert G. Voigt, MD, FAAP
Pediatric Practice Models: Solo, Group, Employed or Locums? What's Best for Me (right now)?
- Identify the different most common practice models that are available for most pediatricians
- Differentiate the Pros and Cons of each practice model with examples and testimony from each ones.
- Contrast the expectations of the employer/partners vs one's own vs the patient's wants and needs.
Marcial Oquendo, MD, FAAP
Lauren K. Gambill, MD, MPA
Sifting Through the Noise: Complementary/Alternative Therapies for Autism
- Differentiate between evidence-based complementary/alternative treatments for children with Autism Spectrum Disorder, and those that are not evidence-based.
- Differentiate between evidence-based complementary/alternative treatments for children with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, and those that are not evidence-based.
- Communicate about these alternative therapies in a respectful way with the families they serve.
Anne-Marie Hain, MD
A Healthcare Reform Primer: Value-Based Payment Models
- Identify evolving healthcare payment models and their impact on pediatric practice
- Summarize CMS Payment Model including the four categories: Fee for Service (FFS), FFS Linked to Quality and Value, Alternative Payment Models, Population-Based Payment
- Demonstrate the change of financial risk to pediatricians and what pediatricians can influence in value-based models
Leticia Shanley, MD
A New Era of Coding: May the Codes Be with You
- Demonstrate an ability to code the new E/M guidelines for Jan 2021
- Identify how to document and code Medical Decision Making (MDM)
- Identify how to document and code based on new Time Guidelines
Linda D Parsi, MD, MBA, CPEDC, FAAP